Thanks to Alexey Dokuchaev, there is now a Pwytter 0.8 port on FreeBSD :
Thanks to Jean-Etienne, here are the detailed instructions:
I found Pwytter via an article from Linux.com and found it very interesting to try. I’m trying to install source of version 0.8 on a Linux Fedora 11. Here is how to install it on Fedora 11 from the command line:
- Download Pwytter, unzip it, enter directory pwytter-0.8
- Install ImageTK: as root, type “yum install python-imaging-tk”
- Install simplejson: as root, type “yum install python-simplejson”
- (optional) launch: python setup.py build
- launch: python setup.py install
- Complete the installation by copying some files (4 lines below, type as root too):
cp pwCache.py /usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/pwytter-0.8-py2.6.egg
cp pwCache.pyc /usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/pwytter-0.8-py2.6.egg
cp -r media/ /usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/pwytter-0.8-py2.6.egg
cp -r theme/ /usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/pwytter-0.8-py2.6.egg
Now you can launch pwytter from any user!
Hope this helps.
WinLibre has been selected this year again to be a mentoring organization for the Google Summer of Code.
One of Winlibre’s proposals is to improve Pwytter (more on WinLibre proposals for Google Summer of Code 2009…)
Full details on requirements for participating, including how to apply and more on the all-important t-shirt at http://socghop.appspot.com/
This will be the icon for the next Pwytter release :
- Greater performances
- asynchronous version check, Friends/Followers loading for quick startup
- asynchronous url loader (favorites, images, …)
- filesystem cache for quick ressource loading at startup (images, users, favorites)
- Create/Remove Favorites
- New Timelines support : “Composite”, “Replies” and “Direct Messages”
- New popup menu to choose current timeline
- New Easy reply icon : add @name automatically
- New Windows setup for one click install
- User interface in 14 languages: Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Polish, Romanian, Serbian, Swedish, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian
Pwytter is actually available in English and in French.
We are looking for translators for other languages.
Pwytter uses gettext, so it will be really easy for you to translate it.
Please contact me [ pierrejean.coudert at gmail dot com ], if you want to help.
Here are the instructions to translate Pwytter.
- User interface Internationalization : English and French translations included
- Themable user interface, theme chooser, 3 themes included
- Mac binaries (thanks to py2app)
- Asian characters (UTF-8 support)
- Splashcreen at startup
- Better edit line handling
- setup.py now uses SetupTools
It’s already a good start !
Pwytter 0.7 is coming with internationalization , UTF-8 support (chineese, korean characters, …) and a themable user interface.
- Send direct message
- Display Followers
- Update autodetect : New pwytter release
- Show parameter dialog on first launch
- Added a link to create a twitter account in parameter dialog
- The password is masked now in parameter dialog
- Display a busy cursor when loading timeline and sending message
- Add a Link to pwytter.com